What is a Semiconductor?
- Neither a conductor nor an insulator
- N- and p-type semiconductors
- Transistor: a device for amplifying electric current
- The expanding domain of semiconductors
What is an Integrated Circuit (IC)?
- Paving the way to circuit integration
- Kilby's groundbreaking idea
- Rapid sophistication of IC technologies
- Moore's law shocks the world
What Are Binary Numbers?
- Advantages of digital processing
- Logical operations based on 1 and 0
- The necessity and potential of the binary system
What Is a Microprocessor?
- Processor as a "superintendent"
- CPU on a chip
- CPU—the heart of the computer
What is a Memory Device?
- Data storage device
- RAM—a memory device for reading/writing data
- ROM—a read-only memory device
What is Liquid Crystal?
- Discovery of "flowing crystal"
- Liquid crystal optical shutter
- Thin-film transistor revolutionizes the liquid crystal shutter
- Rivalry among flat panel displays
What Is a CMOS Image Sensor?
- Semiconductor device that serves as an "electronic eye"
- Faster in data rate than CCD
- Cheaper, energy-efficient, and on-chip integratable
What Is an LED?
- A light-emitting semiconductor device